"Bear Untitled" & hommage to Mr O'reilley

20.4.10




As I previously stated I have been playing around with GraphicsGale and creating really strange small pixel animations for my own pleasure only. The above video is the result of two days (around 16 hrs) fooling around with the program - and my first endeavor in the 8 bit realm since the early 90'es.
 
My good friend producer and musician extraordinaire, Henrik Sjørslev, did the sound design and got totally free hands. Unpurposely because of the bitcrusher the sound became very David O'reilley-esque. A thing David figured out quite early, and one of the many reasons his works are so great, is that there is something amazing about emotional conversations acted out in ice cold monotone voices. He has been able to get under the skin and display true emotions on very synthetic characters in very synthetic universes. After a bit of pondering I decided to keep it. Mainly because Henrik did a killer job on it, and I cant stop bursting out in laughter at the end of the clip every time I see it (I didn't have that before the sound, mind ya - I thought it was funny, but not haha funny) + I think it fits very well to the mood and style of the animation.

If you don't know Davids work, you should definitely go check out his homepage - and go through it all! It isn't just his animations that are quite refreshing (especially PSS, that won him the golden bear at last years Berlinale - and about 800 other prizes) but also his approach to animation in general - such as his theories, his dogmas, visual observations and manifests...


What are you still doing here? - GO!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

An instant classic!
It is interesting with this lo-fi approach. And it's just inpirering to watch. Creativity rules!
gotta do some more animation my self. But first I have to get a new computer..

Rasmus said...

Fedt Chresten. Det sgu sjovt og nostalgisk 8-bit fedt på samme tid :D

Christen said...

Thanks you good sirs. I am definitely hooked on the lowbrow 8 bit stuff. You can really wrench the crap out of it because of the speed. And I don't think you need a new super-computer to do this, Mads. Cant wait to hang with you guys in May. YAY!

Zarah said...

Hehe ja den er da super! Oldschool og Christen i en!

Anonymous said...

monotome voices, carrying out emotional conversations? never seen that before. never. especially the internet is a place where something like that would never fly.

tort said...

Love it! A great work to pop out of just messing around in programs :)

Max said...

Awesome!

aurorajorealis said...

Is this an alternate ending to the Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP trailer?

Christen said...

Haha. I see the resemblance. It is pretty awesome what SB are whipping up. Sweet detailed 8 bit stuff... My bear looks way friendlier though. Even when covered in blood.